I was hoping to make an impact on this dining room wall, and I put the vision to life with this accent wall! It’s a combination I haven’t personally seen anywhere, but I appreciate the non-intense commitment to full wall fluting. This accent wall is a combination of the traditional picture and box trim moulding and fluting. moulding.
My YouTube video shows all the steps of the process. This project was full of lots of excitement and surprises and the Vlog captures it all!
Let’s get into the process. Here is what I needed to complete the project:
The table is vintage, and the macrame planter hangers I made.
Since we have heavy 80’s stomp texture on the walls, I decided to skim coat the wall. It ended up being much more labor-intensive than I was hoping. I could have taken my time and added more coats of mud, but I had a deadline since this was a project for Haven conference with We Are Wood Grain (they gifted $350 of the wood).
Many from my community suggested this sanding attachment for less mess with sanding, and if I get up the courage to try again I would definitely give it a try.
The Mess was Real
Once I pushed through skim coating, it was time to bring the vision to life!
Bring the Vision to Life
I started by cutting down the fluted moulding. While I’ve been using my miter saw stand for 6 months, on this project I was able to get really comfortable with the stop block features on the stand. With making stop blocks for each section, I was able to make accurate cuts which was important for how the wall would look visually.
I cut the trim at a 45-degree angle. It took some time for me to figure out how to not undercut the trim, but once I finished the first box it was easier to cut the rest of the boxes with precision.
The laser level was so handy for this project! I attached each wood piece with one brad nail in the middle in order that I could make sure it was all lined up and the fluting fit well, before I secured with more brad nails.
I installed the wood so there was 7 3/4 inches between the parallel boxes on each side, and a total of 11 inches between the upper and lower boxes.
I used no liquid nails for the project because they ruin drywall. I am confident that brad nails and caulk will keep it secure!
I went with Behr Paint Red Curry for the color. It balances with the brick in the living room and has a rich and muted feel to it.
The Results Still Have Me Shook
Disclaimer: this post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.